Monday, October 5, 2009

My Sister

Happy Birthday to my sister Judy  ... October 10



I only ever had one sister, and her name was Judy.
She was my first friend.
She played dolls with me.
She taught me how to sing, play the guitar, crochet, and sew.
She taught me to laugh.
She taught me to love flowers.
She made my wedding dress when she was still just a girl herself, and then -
She sewed soft things for my babies.
She taught me to bottle anything that grew on a tree and
To make mincemeat out of green tomatoes.
She taught me that you could not handle bread dough “too much”
Or pie crust “too little”
She taught me to love beauty in all things and
To work to make something beautiful out of something plain.
She was always kind, never thoughtless or impatient with a “little” sister.
She was my protector against the harsh realities of childhood.
She taught me to pray and to know that my prayers were heard.
She taught me to love going to “church” and to have faith in the Lord.
She taught me to love the Scriptures and to believe them.
She taught me how to change diapers (when we used pins) and to care for a wee baby.
She taught me patience in trials.
She taught me faith in people and affirmation of their goodness.
She taught me never to stop loving people.
She taught me to believe in Christmas.
I only ever had one sister, but that was all I ever needed.
My Sister Judy -
From her Sister Susan, Christmas 2008

2 comments:

  1. That was amazing. Thank you for loving that sister of yours. She is really wonderful and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so are you, my dear sweet Nan. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete