Saturday, October 3, 2009

In His Own Time

On Sunday morning I had a great experience with Sarah.  We talked about something silly and we both laughed.  We were on our way to church.  It struck me how our conversation was so normal between a mother and a daughter and how that was an answer to prayers offered over and over again beginning 30 years ago.  Sarah has a lot of challenges  and one of those made normal interaction between us impossible for all of her childhood and young adult life.  She has always been adorable and lovable and we have loved each other without reservation, but I could not just talk with her and laugh with her in the normal ways that mothers do with their daughters.

 Since she was our only daughter, I used to mourn for the loss of that in both of our lives.  And I prayed every day, not that a miracle would happen and she would be a normal everyday girl, but that we could just enjoy each other without this wall between us.  In those "olden" days I would always receive a peace and comfort from my prayers, but the  little miracle I wanted didn't happen.  At least it did not happen on my time-table.  But it has happened gradually and over a long period of time and with the help of modern medicine and mostly with the real answer to prayers that were answered in the Lord's way and in His time.  He does hear all of our prayers and He always answers our righteous desires, but not in our way and definitely not always on our time table.  I was thinking on Sunday about how our time is different from His.  It was an immediate answer on that eternal scale.  I wish I could go back to 30 years old and know all this stuff, but I can't.  However, I know it now and that is very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment